Welcome to mmhmm! Mmhmm helps you be better on video, whether you’re presenting during a video meeting or recording content you want to share asynchronously.
There are some minor differences between the interfaces and features in mmhmm for Mac and mmhmm for Windows. We’ll be adding new features to both versions throughout the year, and we’ll note some of the features that are currently only available for Mac below certain section.
We’ll cover these steps:
Launch mmhmm and let’s get started. (If you don’t have mmhmm yet, you can download the app on our downloads page.)
1. Choose a room
Set the tone for your presentation by choosing the perfect background, or what we call Rooms in mmhmm. The Rooms panel, where you can select your room, contains a partial list of the choices in our rooms catalog.
To see our complete list of rooms, go to the Rooms panel and click + More Rooms.
To add your own image for use as a background, click + More Rooms > Add your own at the bottom of the room catalog’s left sidebar. We recommend a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, or anything larger in a 16:9 ratio for best results.
For more, read Adjusting your rooms (or Backgrounds).
(Prefer to show off your real room or location? We’ll tell you how to do that in the section below.)
2. Set your look
A great show uses space, lighting, and special effects to make the speaker look their best. In mmhmm, you can similarly change your appearance with the Presenter panel.
- Use Opacity slider to adjust how transparent you want to appear.
- Use Size slider to adjust your size.
- Use Anchor to pin yourself to a corner of the window.
Frame offers three ways to frame yourself against your room background: Silhouette, Rectangle, and Round.
- The silhouette icon hides everything behind the presenter’s silhouette, with or without a green screen.
- The Rectangle frame icon places your face in a box.
- The Round frame icon frames your face in a circle.
To show your actual location behind you, choose the full frame, then drag the handles on the sides or the dots on the corners of the frame around yourself to adjust how much of your real room or location you want to show. To show only your real location behind you, drag the corners so you fill the frame completely.
Check the box or hit the dropdown on Effects to add fun filters to your appearance, such as raindrops and pixilation.
On Mac only:
To enable gestural communication, check Show Big Hands (only available for OS Big Sur). See what happens when you wave, give a thumbs-up, flash a peace sign, or make a heart!
When you need to step away from your presentation, click the Away button at the top of the Presenter panel, which will show a screen that says, “Be right back.”
CAUTION: The Away button can't turn off your microphone, so please keep that in mind.
For more, read Adjusting your appearance with the Presenter panel.
3. Add your content
An mmhmm slide can hold different types of content:
- additional devices
- presentations from PowerPoint, Keynote, and PDF
To add content to your presentation, you’ll want to use the icons on the left side of your slide tray, shown below with mac on the left, and windows on the right.
To add a text slide, click the Add Text icon to add a title and body text. Each room has a slide style designed to look good with your background.
To add media, including images, GIFs, or video, click the Add Media icon. You can also drag and drop media into the slide tray, or if you’re on Mac, copy and paste images from your clipboard.
To share a screen or add a device to a slide, click the Add Screen Share icon. Choose a window on your computer or iOS device on Mac to make a screenshare slide. You can also choose a second camera connected to your computer to add a live camera image to your slide.
To import a presentation slide deck from Keynote, PowerPoint, or a PDF file, click the Import a PDF, PowerPoint, or Keynote document icon or just drag and drop your presentation file into the slide tray. To learn more, read How do I use mmhmm with presentation slides from Google Slides / Keynote / PowerPoint?
You can also toggle between having your Slides off, over your Shoulder, or Full screen using the buttons at the top of the slide tray. When your slides are over your shoulder, you can adjust their location by dragging your slide, and adjust the size of your slide by dragging the handles on the slide’s edges.
4. Connect to video
Mmhmm is compatible with just about any videoconferencing tool you can think of. Most people use mmhmm with Zoom and Google Meet, but it also works with the web versions of Slack, Cisco Webex, MS Teams, and more. (For the full list, see Which platforms is mmhmm compatible with?.) Although the setup is slightly different for each platform, they follow similar steps.
To connect to video:
- Open mmhmm.
- Launch your videoconferencing platform.
- Choose mmhmm as your camera input.
5. Level up
You’re presenting in mmhmm! When you’re ready to do more, here’s how to use some of our most popular features:
- Learning to use mmhmm webinar – A basic overview showing mmhmm in action
- What is mmhmm premium? – Pricing and features in mmhmm premium
- How to use your real room as your background – When you would prefer not to use a virtual background
- Green screen best practices – How to get good results when using a physical green screen
- Room and presenter settings for individual slides – How to add persistent, customized settings for each slide
- Keyboard shortcuts allow you to make quick changes while presenting
- Help! My content is flipped – Here’s why your slides may appear backwards
- Interactive recordings – How to make your recorded presentations more engaging
- The laser pointer allows you to draw your audience’s attention to the perfect spot
- Copilot mode is what you want in order to present with a colleague or enlist a pal to advance your slides for you
If you need help troubleshooting or want to report bugs, we’re here to help! Just email us at email@example.com or visit our Troubleshooting Center.