Welcome to mmhmm! Mmhmm helps you be better on video, whether you’re presenting during a video meeting or recording content you want to share asynchronously.
If you're on Windows beta, please read Getting Started with Windows beta.
We’ll cover these steps:
Launch mmhmm and let’s get started. (If you don’t have mmhmm yet, you can download mmhmm for Mac on our downloads page.)
1. Choose a room
Set the tone for your video by choosing the perfect background. We call these rooms. The Rooms panel defaults to a partial list of options in our rooms catalog.
To see our complete list of rooms, go to the Rooms panel and click + More Rooms.
To add your own image for use as a background, click + More Rooms > Add your own in the left sidebar of the room catalog. We recommend a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, or anything larger in a 16:9 ratio for best results.
For more, read Adjusting your rooms (or Backgrounds).
(Prefer to show off your real room or location? We’ll tell you how to do that in the section below.)
2. Set your look
A great show uses space, lighting, and special effects to make the speaker look their best. In mmhmm, you can change your appearance with the Presenter panel.
- Use Transparency slider to adjust how transparent you want to appear.
- Use Size slider to adjust your size.
- Use Anchor to pin yourself to a corner of the window.
Frame offers three ways to frame yourself against your room background: silhouette, full frame, and circle.
- The silhouette icon hides everything behind the presenter’s silhouette, with or without a green screen.
- The rectangular frame icon places your face in a box.
- The circle frame icon frames your face in a circle.
To show your actual location behind you, choose the full frame, then drag the dots in the corners or the grab handles on the edges of the frame around yourself to adjust how much of your real room or location you want to show. To show only your real location behind you, drag the dots so you fill the frame completely.
Check the box next to Effects to add fun filters to your appearance, such as raindrops and pixelation.
To enable gestural communication, check Show Big Hands (only available for Mac OS Big Sur). See what happens when you wave, give a thumbs-up, flash a peace sign, or make a heart.
When you need to step away from your presentation, click the Away button at the top of the Presenter panel, which will show a screen that says, “Be right back.”
CAUTION: The Away button can't turn off your microphone, so please keep that in mind.
For more, read Adjusting your appearance with the Presenter panel.
3. Add your content
An mmhmm slide can hold different types of content:
- additional devices
- presentations from PowerPoint, Keynote, and PDF
To add a text slide, click the Add Text icon to add a title and body text. Each room has a slide style designed to look good with your background.
To add media, including images, GIFs, or video, click the Add Images or Videos icon . You can also drag and drop media into the slide tray, or copy and paste images from your clipboard.
To share a screen or add a device to a slide, click the Add Screens and Devices icon. Choose a window on your computer or iOS device to make a screenshare slide. You can also choose a second camera connected to your computer to add a live camera image to your slide.
To import a presentation slide deck from Keynote, PowerPoint, or a PDF file, click the Import a PDF, PowerPoint, or Keynote document icon or just drag and drop your presentation file into the slide tray. To learn more, read How do I use mmhmm with presentation slides from Google Slides / Keynote / PowerPoint?
You can also toggle between having your Slides off, over your Shoulder, or Full screen using the buttons at the top of the slide tray. When your slides are over your shoulder, you can adjust their location by dragging your slide; you can also adjust the size of your slide by dragging the handles the slide’s edges.
4. Connect to video
Mmhmm is compatible with just about any videoconferencing tool you can think of. Most people use mmhmm with Zoom and Google Meet, but it also works with the web versions of Slack, Webex, MS Teams, and more. (For the full list, see Which platforms is mmhmm compatible with?.) Although the setup is slightly different for each platform, they follow similar steps.
To connect to video:
- Open mmhmm.
- Launch your videoconferencing platform.
- Choose mmhmm as your camera input.
5. Level up
You’re presenting in mmhmm! When you’re ready to do more, here’s how to use some of our most popular features:
- Learning to use mmhmm webinar – A basic overview showing mmhmm in action
- What is mmhmm premium? – Pricing and features in mmhmm premium
- How to use your real room as your background – When you would prefer not to use a virtual background
- Interactive recordings – How to make your recorded presentations more engaging
- Green screen best practices – How to get good results when using a physical green screen
- Room and presenter settings for individual slides – How to add persistent, customized settings for each slide
- Keyboard shortcuts allow you to make quick changes while presenting
- Help! My content is flipped – Here’s why your slides may appear backwards
- The laser pointer allows you to draw your audience’s attention to the perfect spot
- Copilot mode is what you want in order to present with a colleague or enlist a pal to advance your slides for you