Welcome to mmhmm! Mmhmm helps you be better on video, whether you’re presenting during a video meeting or recording content you want to share asynchronously.
mmhmm is an everyday tool that’s accessible to everyone. Making a video should feel as effortless as sending a text message, as quick as a chat, and as human as a coffee break. We’ve created mmhmm to be the best tool for communicating in the modern workplace.
There are some minor differences between the interfaces and features in mmhmm for Mac and mmhmm for Windows. We’ll be adding new features to both versions throughout the year, and we’ll note some of the features that are currently only available for Mac below certain sections.
Table of contents
Launch mmhmm and let’s get started. You can start a call, record a video, watch tutorial videos, or even launch the mmhmm desktop app from here. If you don’t have the desktop version of mmhmm yet, you can download the app by clicking "Download" or visiting our downloads page.
Choose a room
Set the tone for your presentation by choosing the perfect background, or what we call rooms in mmhmm. The Rooms panel, where you can select your room, contains a partial list of the choices in our rooms catalog. To learn more about rooms, read Adjusting your rooms (or Backgrounds).
Prefer to show off your real room or location? We’ll tell you how to do that in the section below.
Set your look
A great show uses space, lighting, and special effects to make the speaker look their best. In mmhmm, you can similarly change your appearance with the Presenter panel.
The Presenter panel gives you the ability to use your real room as a background, add fun filters to your appearance with the effects dropdown, and let your audience know you'll be right back if you step away from your presentation.
⚠️ Caution: The Away button can't turn off your microphone, so please keep that in mind.
In mmhmm for Mac, you can enable gestural communication with Big Hands (available on macOS Big Sur or later). See what happens when you wave, give a thumbs-up, flash a peace sign, or make a heart!
For an in-depth guide, read Adjusting your appearance with the Presenter panel.
Add your content
An mmhmm slide can hold different types of content:
- additional devices
- presentations from PowerPoint, Keynote, and PDF
To add content to your presentation, you’ll want to click on the New Slide button on the left-hand side of your slide tray, then click on the type of slide you want to share. Click here for an in-depth guide on how to use slides.
Connect to video
Mmhmm is compatible with just about any video conferencing tool you can think of. Most people use mmhmm with Zoom and Google Meet, but it also works with the web versions of Slack, Cisco Webex, MS Teams, and more. (For the full list, see Which platforms is mmhmm compatible with?) Although the setup is slightly different for each platform, they follow similar steps.
To connect to your video conferencing app:
- Open mmhmm.
- Launch your video conferencing platform.
- Choose mmhmm as your camera input in the video conferencing platform.
You’re presenting in mmhmm! For more step-by-step documentation, check out our mmhmm for Mac and Windows user manual.
When you’re ready to do more, here’s how to use some of our most popular features:
- Cloud sync - mmhmm now supports cloud syncing!
- What is mmhmm premium? – Learn what you get with mmhmm Premium.
- The laser pointer allows you to draw your audience’s attention to the perfect spot.
- How to use your real room as your background – When you would prefer not to use a virtual background.
- Green screen best practices – How to get good results when using a physical green screen.
- Customize your presentation with scenes – How to add persistent, customized settings for each slide.
- Keyboard shortcuts allow you to make quick changes while presenting.
- Help! My content is flipped – Here’s why your slides may appear backward.
- Recording using takes – How to record great presentations on mmhmm for Mac and Windows.
- Sharing and exporting - Learn how to share your recorded videos with your friends and team.